Jobs at Dark Sky
Mobile Application Developer
We are looking to hire a great Mobile Application Developer to join our team at The Dark Sky Company to build and maintain the next generation of innovative consumer weather apps. This person must be fluent in either iOS or Android development (though fluency in both is highly desirable) and must have experience in successfully delivering apps on the approriate platform.
- Design and build advanced applications for the iOS or Android platforms
- Integrate third-party libraries for visualization, etc.
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
- Fix bugs and continually improve application usability and performance
- Contribute to app development and maintenance
- Ensure compatibility and feature parity between apps across platforms
- Experience developing and releasing apps on either iOS or Android (or, ideally, both)
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related discipline preferred
- 4+ years of software development experience
- 2+ years of mobile application development
- Have published at least one original mobile app
- Excellent Objective-C/Swift (iOS) or Java (Android) skills combined with extensive experience with the relevant platform's SDK
- Fluent knowledge of UI elements and layout on the relevant platform
- Excellent understanding of working with remote data via web services (REST, JSON)
- Experience integrating with third-party libraries and APIs
- Experience handling push notifications highly desired
- Good knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies
- Solid understanding of the full mobile development life cycle
- Strong object oriented design skills
Spring Semester Co-op/Summer Internship
Join Dark Sky in our offices in Cambridge for a co-op during the spring semester or internship during the summer. Under the caring guidance of one of our engineers, you will become a better software engineer, gain real-world experience working on projects that will go live and be used by millions of people, and get paid doing it!
We will tailor your projects based on your background and interest. Here are a few ideas we came up with. We have lots more:
- Integrate a fluid dynamic model of weather for hard-to-predict geographies into our forecast engine
- Collect and visualize business metrics for analysis and decision-making
- Create new and beautiful custom weather maps
- Automate infrastructure as a service for scale and reliability
- Implement software build and test automation
- Implement performance monitoring and instrumentation solutions
Depending on what you'd like to do, you should be comfortable with and want to learn more about at least a few of the following:
- Object-oriented, functional, or imperative programming (We use an unholy mixture of NodeJS and C on the back-end.)
- Relational databases and an ability to write basic SQL queries
- Computer networks and cloud computing (especially AWS)
You should also have an interest in or experience interacting with weather (e.g., rain, sleet, snow, rainbows, and sun dogs)—or at least think our logo is cool.
Send us a short note about who you are, what you'd like to do and when, and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.