Jobs at Dark Sky
Dark Sky is looking for a versatile Backend Developer to help build and maintain the data delivery system for our next-generation, high-performance weather forecasting engine. This engine is used by tens of thousands of businesses, research institutions and independent developers and powers our award-winning consumer products, including the #1 paid weather app on iOS (selected by Apple as “Best of 2015”). We are one of the largest suppliers of weather data globally, have been profitable since inception and are growing rapidly. Come help us build the world’s most accurate and powerful weather forecasting service!
- Design and develop scalable, high-performance data delivery web services as part of the Dark Sky backend team
- Productionalize forecast generation models and algorithms
- Develop and implement appropriate administrative tools for monitoring, logging, and measuring performance
- Write unit tests and maintain a consistently high level of code coverage in order to ensure system correctness and reliability
- Participate in an on-call rotation in case of after-hour issues
- Participate in a wide range of side-projects relating to weather data, such as monitoring forecast accuracy and collecting and integrating data from nontraditional sources
- Experience developing scalable, highly available web services
- Deep understanding of web architecture, including caching and security considerations
- Experience with production software engineering best practices, unit testing frameworks, etc. (Opinionated testing proselytism encouraged)
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related subject; or 4+ years of industry experience
- Highly desirable:
- Experience administering, monitoring, and troubleshooting a network of UNIX machines a plus
Dark Sky is looking for a versatile Solutions Engineer to help current and future customers successfully apply our advanced weather forecast API to their needs. Our data services power leading commercial weather analytics applications and services, as well as many of the top apps on iPhone, Android, and the web. Help us build the world’s most accurate and powerful weather forecasting data service!
- Meet with key potential customers to describe how our APIs work and how they can be applied to the customers’ needs.
- Work with key existing customers to ensure their continued success using our data services by providing in-depth technical support and helping them through design and development issues.
- Serve as an internal customer advocate to the rest of the Dark Sky team for technical requirements and priorities of our data services.
- Develop case studies, best practices, white papers, etc., illustrating the range of weather applications & analytics which our APIs can power.
- Develop demo applications and example code to illustrate capabilities.
- Provide additional technical support as required.
- Strong interest in weather and how it impacts human activity.
- Demonstrated ability developing significant data-driven software applications and analytics, preferably involving physical data (even better if it’s weather-related!)
- Strong understanding of scalable web services, APIs, etc.
- BS/MS degree in Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or a related subject; or 4+ years of industry experience involving software development and/or data science.
Dark Sky is looking for a Data Scientist to help us be the best weather forecasting company. The person in this position will be responsible for maintaining, analyzing, and improving Dark Sky’s forecast generation, from hyper-local next-hour precipitation forecasts to 7-day forecasts adjusted for microclimate effects. The ideal candidate will have knowledge & experience in several of the following areas: software engineering practices, algorithm development, data analysis, math/statistics, machine learning, computer vision, and of course a keen interest in weather!
- Analyze and track forecast accuracy to target areas for improvement
- Improve algorithms for forecast models, microclimate adjustments, etc.
- Develop and maintain pipelines for radar image processing and classification
- Fix bugs and improve performance
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases and general reliability
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in science, math, or engineering preferred
- 4+ years of software development experience in data-intensive applications
- Demonstrated skill in computational algorithms development
- Demonstrated skill in data analysis and interpretation
- Familiarity with machine learning methods highly desired
- Familiarity with image processing and computer vision methods highly desired
- Experience with C/C++, Nodejs, and Python highly desired
- Familiarity with weather data / forecasting preferred
Dark Sky is an Equal Opportunity Employer